Senior Forestry Manager | Scotland & Northern England | MorePeople
With an ambitious expansion plan off the back of a fantastic year, an opportunity has arisen to become a key member of the property and foresty team within a forward-thinking and well-established firm of surveyors.
About Our Client
You will be joining a well-established firm with a strong reputation and growth plan who is driven by core values. They have a fantastic reputation for providing professional and trustworthy advice to clients. They cover a wide range of roles and clients, covering Scotland and northern England.
We are currently looking to hire a Senior Forestry Manager to join our Property and Forestry Department. The successful candidate will report to the Head of Property and Forestry and will undertake a challenging range of forestry and management assignments. The day-to-day tasks will include strategic and operational planning, contract supervision, and effective liaison with clients and stakeholders. In addition, the successful candidate will develop and expand the forestry business throughout the UK.
With a forestry graduate joining in the summer to be taken under your wing too.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Forestry and woodland management and planning
- Advise clients on good forestry practice and provide a service to woodland owners, including those interested in acquiring land for the establishment of new forests
- Grant applications and management of grant-related works
- Organise the growing, harvesting, marketing, and sale of timber
- Advise woodland owners on the most appropriate tree species (whether by planting or natural regeneration), and on budgeting, public access, ecological surveys, and forest certification
- Implementation of new planting and restocking
- Forestry and woodland mapping and GIS
- Forest and woodland certification
- Contractor supervision and negotiating with subcontracting companies
- Tree safety surveys
- Implementation of remedial works
- Budgeting and financial management
- Input into business plans, work plans and ensure the effective use of resources to meet the objectives of the forestry workstream
- Liaise with clients, landowners, timber merchants, the public, and local authorities
- Liaise with other professionals including geologists and engineers
- Keep up to date with legislation and other developments in the industry
- Working closely with the Rural and Agency Department on buying and selling forestry and carbon assets.
The Ideal Candidate
You will possess the ability to positively influence and inform clients and colleagues alike, with a desire to develop your networking and business development skills with an approachable personality with strong client care skills.
Ideal Experience & Qualifications:
- Sound technical forestry knowledge including the UK Forestry Standard
- Preferably 2 years post qualified, forestry experience
- Experience working with GIS mapping systems
- Professional Tree Inspector experience desirable
- Woodland creation experience
- Experience in developing forestry business.
- Relevant forestry or land-based qualification, for example, B.Sc. or M.Sc. Forestry or related
- IT literate - Word, Excel, Windows
- Full Driving License
Support and job-related training will be given to any area which would benefit from strengthening.
How to Apply
There is a great salary on offer for the successful candidate and a package to match. They are keen to see a range of experience so the salary will be commensurate with experience.
If you would like further information about this role or any other opportunities within the rural sector we may have, please get in touch with Tim on 01780 480530 or email email@example.com