This is a fantastic opportunity for a Cost Manager to join the Government Property Agency out of any of their UK locations.
The Government Property Agency is changing the way the Civil Service works and is at the forefront of Government's transformation agenda; reshaping the relationship civil servants have with their place of work. The Agency is central to the delivery of key Government policies including moving 22,000 Civil Service roles out of London by 2030 and tackling climate change by contributing to the Net Zero agenda. To do this we are delivering a major change programme across the UK and consolidating our portfolio in order to save £1.4 Bn over 10 years.
Beyond the bricks and mortar, the GPA is about providing great workplaces for our people. Through programmes like Hubs, Whitehall Campus and Smart Working you will be in the vanguard of creating model working environments and promoting flexible working practices.
This is an ambitious and exciting task, for which we need innovative people, with strong commercial acumen, who are passionate about visualising and implementing customer needs. Launched as an Executive Agency of the Cabinet Office in 2018, we're a relatively new department and we are growing fast so we also need people who thrive in ambiguity, can adapt quickly to change and are comfortable stepping outside of their remit to drive outcomes.
As the Cost Assurance Manager you will be responsible for providing project teams with cost control, budgeting and cost management. These projects will predominantly relate to refurbs and fit outs of commercial office buildings.
Typical tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Planning and preparing cost estimates for construction projects to ensure cost do not exceed the set budget.
- Assisting Project Managers to prepare cost data for approval, requests for proposals. contract negotiations and project scopes of work.
- Overseeing the costs for each project and providing data analysis on market trends.
- Advising on a range of legal and contractual issues.
- Helping determine project scopes of work based on the Design Guide and refining Employers Requirements (ER).
- Estimating life‐cycle costs in accordance with prescribed standards and procedures.
- Reviewing/analysing/commenting on bidders proposals based on an evaluation of their compliance to the ERs.
- Providing technical support (advice, assurance and approval) to the integrated project delivery teams.
- Advising the Workplace Design Board (WDB).
- Assessing work package lifecycle costs as part of design management, in collaboration with Workplace Services.
- Briefing and seeking proposals for ad-hoc work from GPA's consulting partners.
- Producing lessons learnt at various stages of the project lifecycle and at building handover to Workplace Services.
To be considered for this role, applicants must have a proven cost management/QS background and be an MRICS Chartered Quantity Surveyor with a BSc in Quantity Surveying or equivalent.
Applicants who meet the qualifications criteria will also need to demonstrate skills and experience in the following:
- Proven experience of working on large complex construction projects.
- Strong cost estimating experience and rate / benchmark knowledge
- Ability to engage with stakeholders
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Team working - working collaboratively in a positive manner to build trust and rapport across the GPA.
- Communication & Influence - ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to gain support for initiatives and to enable solution implementation.
- Ability to prioritise tasks effectively in order to meet deadlines (both internal and external) and communicating progress wherever necessary.
- Conversant and competent in management of clients and contractors.
- Commitment to continuous improvement.
- Conversant with IT systems and the ability to analyse Management Information to inform decision-making.
- Experience of dealing with contractors and client side relationships in a multi-client environment.
- Practical experience in negotiation skills that have achieved positive outcomes.
The GPA have a national portfolio and the role can therefore be based out of any of the following locations; Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Newport, Nottingham, Norwich or Swindon.
- Salary £49,700 - £ 56,524 (an additional recruitment & retention bonus can be considered for the right candidate)
- An environment with flexible working options, this includes the ability to work from home from time to time and the use of flexitime.
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension, with an employer contribution rate for this role of 27.9%
- Generous annual leave
- And many more benefits!
- You MUST be SC Cleared OR be able to qualify for SC Clearance