Cushman & Wakefield is the leading retail property advisor in Europe, with a large team providing end-to-end services for retailers, occupiers, landlords and investors.
The role of the Cross Border Retail team is to generate new clients and refer retail business internationally across the C&W EMEA network. It is at the forefront of business development and is often the first point of contact for retailers and brands moving into new markets. Through the specialist consultancy team offering initial advice on new market entry and location strategy including demographic analysis, rental and occupancy cost information and country specific legislation; and working directly in conjunction with the agency side of the business to secure transactions. This client focused approach allows C&W to monitor, coordinate and transact for our key clients and ensures they consistently receive the highest possible service.
- To support the Partner in developing and maintaining positive client-focused relationships in all aspects of tenant representation and landlord leasing work across EMEA.
- The position requires someone with a strong interest and some experience of developing and maintaining positive client-focused relationships in all aspects of tenant representation and able/willing to work across multiple international retail markets.
- Able to work with landlords to advise on retail tenant mix strategy, based on knowledge from working with retailers and brands.
- Champions cross selling and shares business opportunities across geographies and service lines.
- Actively promotes C&W profile in market, through attendance and speaking at national and international trade shows and conferences.
- Contribute to the International Retail Thought Leadership Programme and liaise with PR and Marketing teams to leverage C&W’s Retail position internationally.
Clients & Marketing
- An active market-facing role in the preparation and delivery of pitches, assisting with and active business development with new and existing clients.
- It will require the development of up to date knowledge of market values and retail trends, retail & leisure brands, and a good geographical knowledge of major retail areas in EMEA.
People & Teams
- You will work as a mentor to younger members of the team, providing guidance and training when appropriate.
- The role will also involve working closely with other teams and departments at C&W including Retail across EMEA and affiliate offices, CMG, Valuation, Lease Advisory, GOS and Project Management to maximise possible revenues and provide a complete service to our clients.
- Degree or higher level qualification.
- Likely to be a qualified MRICS surveyor with a track record and some experience in retail and/or leisure markets.
- Excellent command of written/verbal English.
- Any foreign language skills (particularly European languages) advantageous but not essential.
Core Knowledge & Experience (specific to the role):
- Ability to handle multiple projects/tasks.
- Can build and develop relationships quickly and successfully across our Affiliate Office Partners and key international landlords.
- Able to provide initial market insight and consultancy to help identify opportunities matching the client’s criteria and support them from initial market entry through to full country expansion.
- The candidate may be expected to travel with clients and provide a vital link between our own C&W retail teams and Affiliate Offices. They will offer impartial advice, to the benefit of the client, and build relationships with the intention of cross selling other C&W service lines and securing further brokerage instructions in new countries.
- In addition to direct client management, the role requires the undertaking and implementation of various cross border initiatives, including getting involved with the coordination of the Cross Border Retail Groups: Luxury; Leisure, Food & Beverage; Out Of Town; Digital Natives and Tenant Rep Ambassadors.
Skills & Personal Qualities:
- Strong and loyal team player.
- A pro-active / motivated attitude.
- Maintains a positive attitude towards necessary processes.
- An entrepreneurial mind-set, notably in respect of creating new business for the C&W EMEA network and other C&W regions.
- Relates to a range of people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Understands and appreciates the need for discretion.
- Ability to think creatively and on feet to solve the client’s needs.
- Time management (able to prioritise workload and meet deadlines; coupled with different time zones for clients and colleagues alike).
- Flexible approach to work and travelling. The successful candidate will be initially focused on Europe and may be expected to travel as required. In addition, the role could involve occasional extensive travel to Asia and the Americas depending on the relationship with the clients and their specific requirements.