Our team manages a significant portfolio of residential property, and our vision is for everyone to have the opportunity to live in a good quality sustainable home within in a lively and thriving neighbourhood. We’re working hard to improve disadvantaged areas and enhance people’s lives across the Borough, including a carbon neutral strategy.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
This job itself offers real variety and involvement in a wide range of exciting projects. Your day-to-day work could vary from carrying out a site inspection for a new build scheme, built to Passivhaus standards to inspecting a 1960’s-built block of flats property for damp and mould, whilst developing a feasibility to improve its energy efficiency; to developing a number of infill new build projects to replacing windows and cladding to a non-traditional block of flats. You may be working with our in-house trades teams to solve a mysterious roof leak or resolve a condensation issue.
The work is varied and challenging. Works include full contract and project management of a portfolio of projects. You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
We need you to be a good communicator with a proven background in building maintenance, construction, and project management.
- Good understanding of building pathology.
- Working knowledge of procurement legislation and procurement methodology.
- Understanding of Standard forms of contract, how they are applied and used from a client perspective on construction projects.
- Structured and logical approach to fiscal contract management.
- Degree in Building Surveying or HNC in construction.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave.
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities.
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading.
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS).
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees.
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work.
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax.
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Sunday 5 June 2022.
Interview date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.