Senior Surveyor, Projects and Programme Delivery
Grade & Salary: G8: £45,739 – £50,516
This role is eligible for a retention allowance of £6,120 (reviewed every two years). We would welcome discussions with suitable applicants at the interview
Post number: 200831
Type of contract: Permanent
Work pattern: 37 hours / week
Closing date: 17 July 2022
Benefits: Civil Service pension, 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days over 5 years, flexible working options, weekly well-being hour, occupational health including counselling and advisory services and eye care, tax-free childcare and salary sacrifice schemes.
As a Senior Surveyor in the Projects and Programme Delivery Team, you will provide expert land and property surveying services to contribute to the successful delivery of each project. You shall work as a key member of project teams, contributing to the management of significant financial, legal, operational and reputational risks arising from each project. You shall ensure compliance with NRW’s legal and statutory duties.
You will liaise with and negotiate agreements, licences and settlements with third parties and private landowners to facilitate capital scheme construction and future maintenance. You will work on NRW and third party land, including sensitive and protected sites as well as residential, commercial, industrial and agricultural property.
Projects delivered by the Projects and Programme Delivery team include flood risk management, reservoir safety compliance, coastal adaptation, Hydrometry and Telemetry upgrades, Fisheries improvements, the Metal Mines programme and Forestry Estate infrastructure schemes.
Ensure the principles of SMNR and Well-being of Future Generations Act are considered in all decision making.
Your responsibilities include:
- As a professionally qualified land and property surveyor you will be responsible for providing authoritative professional expertise and advice to project teams to support NRW’s Projects and Programme Delivery team in legal and statutory duty compliance.
- You will have delegated authority to lead negotiations to access third party land and be able to progress matters within a given tolerance to a satisfactory conclusion.
- You will value third party assets and disruption impacts, and give professional advice on estates and legal issues associated with land and NRW powers of entry. You will be accountable for this advice which will be relied upon in high risk decision making.
- You will have operational responsibility for planning, prioritising and organising Estates resources that you will lead and manage to support the delivery of high-profile projects involving multi-discipline specialist and technical staff are delivered in line with agreed time, cost, statutory duties and quality standards.
- You will identify and manage potential Estates risks to projects.
- You will be accountable for the instruction of solicitors and barristers and for providing information to legal agents in support of court cases, conveyancing and litigation.
- You will be responsible and accountable for land transactions and claims settlement, achieving value for money for NRW and identifying and acting on opportunities to reduce costs.
- You will contribute your professional knowledge and judgement to the development of programme and project plans.
- You will coach, mentor and support colleagues across Operations in your capacity as the Land Surveyor and as a technical lead for Estates capital project delivery.
- You will work with other Technical Specialists in NRW, leading where appropriate, to promote consistent advisory and regulatory practices across functional regimes.
- You will represent NRW as a professional land and property surveying expert for capital projects, both internally and externally, across Wales and the UK.
- You will be accountable for building, maintaining and improving relationships with internal and external stakeholders to best achieve shared outcomes, whilst being visible and approachable to all.
- You will be aware of the political landscape surrounding projects and be sensitive to the possible impacts on NRW.
- You will be accountable for maintaining your personal professional accreditation (RICS) and ensure the latest developments in the professional field are reflected in your work and your contributions to strategy, policy and guidance production.
- You will maintain auditable records of actions and outcomes to justify and demonstrate that all legal and procedural requirements have been met.
Qualifications and Skills
- Full Chartered Surveyor membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
- RICS Registered Valuer or a willingness to become one.
- Substantial relevant experience in the field and ability to demonstrate a high level of knowledge and personal and professional credibility and a commitment to continuing professional development.
- Experience in property management and able to demonstrate experience of working with legal documents such as leases, conveyances, wayleaves, licences, title documentation etc.
- Proven ability to analyse property related issues and to develop solutions to deliver the optimum overall outcome, often working in collaboration with others.
- A sound working knowledge of a wide range of legislation and common law relating to bodies with statutory responsibilities. Experience of assisting in managing either private or public sector land.
- Excellent people management, financial management, leadership and influencing skills.
- Able to manage complex projects and programmes of work.
- Proven ability to manage financial, legal, operational and reputational risk around the post holder’s area of work and identify risks to the business.
- In-depth knowledge in land and property management to enable the provision of objective advice to others on specialist issues.
- Confidence and the ability to discuss policy and legal land issues with a range of stakeholders.
- Excellent inter-personal and influencing skills and the ability to develop and maintain good relationships and networks with a range of individuals and at all levels.
- Experience of working in partnership with fellow professionals of mixed disciplines (e.g. engineers, building surveyors, cost consultants, designers, environmental managers) to deliver large operational programmes.
- Excellent negotiating skills employed to achieve the best outcome for NRW.
- Sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
For more information, please visit our website.