£36,389 per annum and a generous benefits package
Full time, Part Time, Part time Term Time, Job Share, permanent vacancy based in Reading.
We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to undertake building surveying duties in connection with the lock houses situated along the river Thames. We have an ambitious programme of works including those to upgrade the houses to help meet our net zero targets.
With an up-to-date knowledge of current legislation and best practice, you’ll undertake tasks and manage building surveying projects, working as part of a small team and also liaising with external framework surveyors. You will also be supported to develop both personally and professionally.
This role isn’t just about providing professional surveying expertise, it’s about playing an exciting and evolving role in making a long-term difference.
Experience working as a Building Surveyor relating to residential property, you'll hold an appropriate RICS qualification (MRICS/FRICS). You'll be able to demonstrate knowledge and experience in one or more of these areas:
- Experience working on the maintenance and refurbishment of residential properties, and ideally working with older properties
- Experience managing programmes of work including CDM and procurement responsibilities
- Knowledge of current legislation and best practice, enabling you to provide specialist advice.
- Confident communicator, able to engage professionally, efficiently and effectively with internal and external customers.
- Well-developed negotiation and dispute resolution skills.
Our Estates team has 115 people, providing a professional service to help achieve our organisational outcomes. We're integral to delivery of our £5.2 billion capital programme to better protect 336,000 homes from flooding. The residential team comprises 3 people and focusses on the Thames lock houses.
As well as the opportunity to make a real difference to the environment, you can look forward to a competitive package with a range of benefits. These include:
- a generous career average salary pension scheme (currently 19% contributions from us);
- holiday allowance linked to grade and length of service, rising from 25 days to 30 days per year, plus 8 statutory public and bank holidays (pro-rata for part-time employees);
- generous enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave schemes;
- a range of flexible working options including flexi-time; these depend on business needs, but our aim is to help you achieve a positive work-life balance.
We will support your continued personal and professional development too and we’ll put a formal development plan in place for you and help you to identify and address any skills gaps. We are committed to having an inclusive workforce to reflect the communities we serve. We welcome applications from candidates seeking flexible working patterns, including job share. Please highlight any information regarding preferred flexible working arrangements on your application.
For more information
For further information, you can email the Estates Recruitment Team at RecruitmentEstates@environment-agency.gov.uk
A full and valid driving licence is essential. Regular travel, including site visits to some remote locations, is required. You'll be provided with a vehicle to carry out this work if required.
To apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: 14 August 2022.
Interviews will take place via MS Teams in early September 2022.