Estates Surveyor - East Hub (Maternity Cover)
£36,389 per annum and a generous benefits package
12 month fixed term
Full time, Part Time, Part time Term Time, Job Share
We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to provide professional Estates expertise across all aspects of the Environment Agency’s business. You will be involved in a wide variety of surveying work, keeping your days varied and interesting while building your knowledge and experience.
You will be the surveying expert working collaboratively within project teams helping deliver an ambitious programme of capital flood defence works investing £5.2 billion nationwide better protecting 336,000 households from flood risk (2021-27). You’ll be involved at all stages of project delivery from feasibility through to completion.
Your surveying expertise will also be applied to managing a diverse land and property portfolio, including property management, valuation and dealing with landlord and tenant issues. As a confident negotiator, you will also represent our interests externally with a broad customer and client base in Estate management.
With an up-to-date knowledge of current legislation and best practice, you’ll provide strong technical guidance and support to other members of your team on surveying matters. You will also be supported to develop both personally and professionally.
This role isn’t just about providing professional surveying expertise, it’s about playing an exciting and evolving role in making a long-term difference.
Experience working as a Surveyor in a professional estates service, you'll hold an appropriate RICS qualification (AssocRICS/MRICS/FRICS) from relevant sector Pathways e.g. Land and Resources, Commercial or Rural or equivalent level of experience with commitment to complete your qualification. You'll be able to demonstrate knowledge and experience in one or more of these areas:
- Good understanding of planning, property and compensation legislation and compulsory purchase procedures.
- Provide advice on land and compensation matters to minimise project risk and compensation liabilities.
- Negotiating access to land, securing appropriate interests and settling compensation claims.
- Manage diverse land and property portfolio including property management, valuation and landlord and tenant issues to ensure sustainable land use.
- Knowledge of current legislation and best practice, enabling you to provide specialist advice.
- Confident communicator, able to engage professionally, efficiently and effectively with internal and external customers.
- Well-developed negotiation and dispute resolution skills.
The East Estates Hub is a team of surveyors of varying levels of experience and support staff offering professional Estates advice for land, compensation and valuation matters across East Anglia.
The Estates service extends to 125 people, offering professional support for Environment Agency land, property, compensation and valuation matters. We are core to the delivery of the Agency's £5.2 billion capital programme to better protect 336,000 homes.
As well as the opportunity to make a real difference to the environment, you can look forward to a competitive package with a range of benefits. These include:
- a generous career average salary pension scheme (currently 19% contributions from us);
- holiday allowance linked to grade and length of service, rising from 25 days to 30 days per year, plus 8 statutory public and bank holidays (pro-rata for part-time employees);
- generous enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave schemes;
- a range of flexible working options including flexi-time; these depend on business needs, but our aim is to help you achieve a positive work-life balance.
We will support your continued personal and professional development too and we’ll put a formal development plan in place for you and help you to identify and address any skills gaps. We are committed to having an inclusive workforce to reflect the communities we serve. We welcome applications from candidates seeking flexible working patterns, including job share. Please highlight any information regarding preferred flexible working arrangements on your application.
For more information
For further information, you can email the Estates Recruitment Team: RecruitmentEstates@environment-agency.gov.uk
A full and valid driving licence is essential. Regular travel, including site visits to some remote locations, is required. You'll be provided with a vehicle to carry out this work if required.
This role is based in Peterborough, but other locations will be considered.
To apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: 29 August 2022.