Haringey, one of London’s 32 Boroughs, is an extremely diverse and vibrant area. The Council has set clear ambitious objectives through its Borough Plan to make Haringey a better place to live, encourage investment and create opportunities that all can share. Haringey’s vision for the future is one of sustainable growth, in housing and jobs and on helping our residents and businesses take advantage of that growth.
There is an energy and drive in the Council that has been vitally important to the challenges we have experienced over the past few years. Incredibly able and committed colleagues make it a stimulating and enjoyable place to work, with unstinting support and investment for transformation and improvement. There is a strong sense of being part of a team, and it is a fast-moving environment where there are real opportunities to deliver lasting and meaningful change.
We have huge ambitions for Haringey. As the shape of local government continues to change, we are determined to rise to the challenge and find new ways to ensure that our residents enjoy the best opportunities in life. Working at Haringey gives you the opportunity to play a part in meeting those ambitions on behalf of everyone who calls the borough their home. Be part of the change transforming Haringey.
About the role
Capital Projects and Property provides property leadership across Haringey Council and has direct responsibility for the portfolio covering the whole property lifecycle. The team manages the Councils property portfolio to maximise value, reduce costs and increase returns. However, working in our team isn’t just about property, it’s about people, the service we deliver enables economic regeneration and the vital services our buildings support. We also contribute to Council objective such as ‘levelling up’ through acquiring land to support new homes, jobs and public value.
This senior role sits in our Property team which provides professional portfolio management and advice to Councillors, Cabinet and senior stakeholders, giving direction and assurance on all estates issues, by translating Council business strategies into real estate related consequences.
You will represent the Councils property interests on a variety of projects providing professional portfolio management and advise in a wide range of settings and asset types including property management, Industrial development, retail, de-risking, and disposal of development land, delivering administrative office accommodation, and acquiring and managing land to support Haringey’s regeneration agenda.
You will also support the wider Property team’s work on property development and placemaking, using your commercial insight and property expertise for policy formulation and implementation across the Council. This could include retail and industrial development, intelligent client to other services, delivering administrative office accommodation.
You’ll be currently working as a property professional in a private or public-sector organisation linked to property, infrastructure, or housing. you will be used to working in a professional property team; leading on asset management, delivering advice to clients and prioritising work whilst always looking for ways to improve and innovate and help to lead and steer surveyors within the team. Whatever your background, if you have the skills, passion, and determination we’re looking for then you will be supported to succeed.
You will have a firm understanding and demonstrable track-record in handling asset management initiatives: lettings, rent reviews, re-gears, refurbishments as well as hold / sell analysis in addition to a thorough understanding of commercial leases A range of experience and a good knowledge of legal negotiations and contracts/agreements. You will be able to produce quality reports and analysis in tight time constraints.
You are an effective communicator and negotiator, able to influence others by articulating reasons to gain agreement. You think ahead to identify problems and find solutions, giving direction and communicating confidently. You can inspire others to work towards a long-term goal and recognise wider strategic implications.
You can manage a changing portfolio of projects and priorities with the ability to deliver to tight deadlines, manage teams, prioritise work and adapt your working style to meet the different needs of each client or transaction. You can work through difficulties and establish a shared way forward.
You will be educated to degree level, have a property related qualification (RICS) or be working towards this with excellent and detailed experience within the industry. As a property professional you understand and can demonstrate compliance with Statutory, Regulatory and Professional requirements.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Effectively managing the Haringey property portfolio to maximise value, reduce costs, enhance long term value, and increase returns, with a focus on both financial performance and social and economic benefits.
- Take ownership for identifying and executing value add opportunities and asset management initiatives across the assets.
- Delivering commercial arrangements (including leases and acquisitions) which meet the council’s needs.
- Act as an “intelligent client” to our supply chain and property managers on all property management issues.
- Working with Senior colleagues in developing and delivering the Haringey’s property strategy in line with wider Council policy.
- Maximising property regeneration opportunities from Haringey assets through development enabling work and ensuring asset disposals meet Councils objectives and represent best value.
- Undertake budgeting, forecasting and financial management in respect of the property portfolio which is valued at circa £2.77bn.
- Managing and advising on cross Haringey initiatives and policies.
- Understand future workstreams and ensure the expected consequences of the business strategy inform the development of the wider Haringey Property Strategy.
- Create robust business cases to support strategy recommendations; feasibility management, quantifying value creation and other commercial benefits appropriately tailored to departmental objectives. Support progress through Programme / Investment Boards up to Cabinet approval.
- Develop effective client relationships with our professional advisors and with service teams, Legal and Finance colleagues to present a unified Haringey view.
Our employees have access to a wide range of benefits. This ensures that we are giving our hardworking employees the rewards they deserve for the tremendous services they provide for our Borough and the people in it.
We offer a local authority pension and a healthy work-life balance, with flexible working hours, work from home days, generous annual leave, and an interest free travel loan.
The team is currently working under a hybrid model with some office-based complemented with remote working, as per individual requirements.
We are committed to our employees and offer many opportunities for professional development. This includes training, shadowing and mentoring. You will be part of a wide professional network, across London and the UK.
We have diverse and multi-talented teams within Capital Projects and Property working in a fast-paced environment driving change, where highs are celebrated, and lows are lessons learnt for the next challenge.