Location: London, GB
Role Type: Full Time Permanent
Location: London, Stratford
Closing date: 11th November 2022
Salary: Starting at £41,711 with progression to £46,925 with London allowance
About Network Rail:
Network Rail has played a key role in keeping the country moving during the coronavirus pandemic – and we will play an equally important part in rebuilding from it.
We get people where they need to be, whether they are commuting to work, visiting friends or family, or going for a night out.
We make millions of lives better every day and have a vital job in driving the economy and prosperity of the nation!
Over the coming years we will be building and improving crucial rail links between the country’s biggest cities, making our services faster, more comfortable and more reliable for the people who rely on us.
We’re also changing our organisation to put the passenger at the heart of everything we do, to make our people even prouder to work for us and to be recognised as a true leader in our industry.
In joining Network Rail, you’re not only joining an organisation with a vital role to play for the country, but also a team of more than 40,000 people, and a business dedicated to being one of Britain’s best employers.
Network Rail is one of the largest land and property owners in the country. The Property team is responsible for generating sustainable income which is used to improve the railway for our passengers, and freight customers.
Property is at the heart of delivering Network Rails ambitions for the railway: “to provide a safe, reliable, and efficient railway fit for the 21st century” with our portfolio covering station retailing, commercial estate and freight with commercial developments, some at stations and on surplus land. Property advice is also provided on land strategy, town planning and in relation to infrastructure projects.
This will be achieved by having an outstanding property team to creatively craft the planning and delivery process, focussing on our strategy for land use.
The Development team’s role is to provide high quality professional property services to support the railway. This will include:
advising on strategies for all industry land requirements in station regeneration projects and the sale and purchase of land to facilitate such projects. This is in conjunction with third party landowners, developers, and Councils
the creation and implementation of Estates Strategies to support the provision of the accommodation required for the maintenance of the railway
adding value to surplus land by developing, up to pre app stage, schemes on surplus land prior to sale for capital return
Contribute to and support the strategy for Network Rails Eastern Region development portfolio. Establish and run projects and contribute to existing schemes. Implement different approaches to site development to ensure Network Rail achieves the best potential in terms of station enhancements, housing numbers and site value from development led disposals.
The role will be based in Stratford, London with travel throughout the region.
About the role (External)
Some Key Accountabilities of the role:
- Establish and run projects and contribute to existing schemes. Implement different approaches to site development to ensure Network Rail achieves the best potential in terms of station enhancements, housing numbers, economic growth and site value from development led disposals.
- Assisting in site marketing and developer/purchaser selection process, with the objective of identifying the most suitable viable approach to deliver the objectives of the residential/commercial development strategy
- Undertake discussions and negotiations with internal and external partners relating to development schemes and through these, facilitate the successful completion of the required approvals
- Instruct legal advisors to prepare relevant documents required for developments and disposals including contracts, land transfers and development agreements.
- Provide support on larger projects
- Act as case surveyor for a portfolio of smaller scheme from start to finish
- Demonstrate high level of project management skills by achieving key project achievements in accordance with the approved programme
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal colleagues, consultants and external bodies to ensure an efficient and effective delivery of projects.
- Delivery of financial targets in line with forecasts and feeding into forecast for both cashflow and capital receipts with maximum accuracy
- Good negotiating skills
- Positive and proactive teammate
- Good presentation and communication skills
- Some experience of development and/or disposal projects
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- MRICS/FRICS qualified
- Understanding of the rail industry and rail legislation
- Experience of working within multi-disciplined Infrastructure Project teams
- Full Driving Licence
How to apply (External)
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor.
We are a Disability Confident Leader employer! We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
We positively embrace flexible working, recognising that employees may wish to balance work with their family and home life.
Network Rail Benefits – To find out about what benefits we offer, click here
Network Rail is required to comply with UK Government standards when carrying out pre-employment checks for all new starters; this includes a basic criminal record check. In addition to the basic criminal record check, in accordance with the UK Government we are also required to verify your identity, right to work in the UK and previous three years employment history.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. You should be able to demonstrate your personal commitment to safety and awareness of our safety vision.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets costing up to £3,333 (to a maximum amount of £2,500).