National Grid Electricity Distribution is the new name for Western Power Distribution. This is a very exciting time to be part of the largest UK electricity transmission and distribution business. We’ve changed our name, but our people and focus on providing great service to customers remains unchanged. We connect 8 million customers across the Midlands, South West England and South Wales and serve a population of over 18 million people. We do this whilst maintaining safety, reliability and excellent customer service.
National Grid employs over 29,000 people worldwide. Our vision is to be at the heart of a clean, fair and affordable energy future and we are doing this in a fast-moving industry with an increasing focus on tackling climate change, exploring new energy sources which are renewable, low carbon, and improve efficiency to meet demand.
We are an equal opportunities employer. Our desire is to bring in more employees from diverse backgrounds to build further on our inclusive culture. We value and celebrate individual difference and we believe that an inclusive culture will help the business grow as a positive, strong and innovative company.
Job Introduction: An opportunity has arisen for a Wayleave Manager, based in the East Midlands. Location to be agreed.
You will be accountable to the Consents Manager for providing a complete consents and wayleave service to Logistics and to the Projects teams within Network Services and to assist with Network Services and the Telecoms Business.
* Salary dependant on knowledge and experience.
If you are offered a position, you will be required to complete and provide a satisfactory basic DBS check that shows any unspent convictions or conditional cautions.
As part of our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, all applications are automatically anonymised by our recruitment system. This is with the aim of realising our ambition to have a workforce which is reflective of the community we serve and eliminating unconscious bias, allowing employees to be appointed based on their talent, skills and experiences regardless of ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic.
Our hiring managers will have no access to your name, age, gender or other diversity information until after shortlisting has taken place. This detail will become visible before interview to allow managers to prepare.
- Make expectations clear and set standards.
- Organise, delegate and manage work within the team to include monitoring sickness absence/Standards of performance and sickness absence procedures.
- Assist with 132kV, 66kV and 33kV scheme preparation in terms of site and route selection/acquisition.
- Manage and negotiate complex consents, wayleaves, access routes, easements and agreements in respect of location of and works to Distribution assets (cables/lines/substations).
- Provide a wayleave service to Projects for maintenance (including tree cutting) and construction schemes.
- Responsible for the management of and work associated with wayleave terminations applicable to the 132kV systems and assist local offices with 66kV and 33kV.
- Responsible for managing and negotiating complex Injurious Affection Claims (including large development site claims).
- Settling damage, compensation and other payment claims.
- Approving, processing and completion of easement and property matters with legal advisors.
- Assist with or co-ordinate or resolve consent and wayleave legal matters (including inquiries/hearings).
- Undertake statutory and courtesy consultation on development proposal.
- Undertake and co-ordinate all major project planning applications and be the first point of contact with local authorities, DBEIS, MIPU and other consultees/objectors.
- Assist with the preparation of wayleave/consent policy, as required also preparation and control of the wayleave budget.
- Monitor the effect of development proposals on the environment.
- Provide advice and assistance as required to the Estates Specialists in Network Services.
- Co-ordinate and delegate workload within the team to ensure that projects are delivered on time.
- Undertake Telecoms wayleave work as required.
- Identify opportunities for improvement in performance and implement or recommend change.
- Provide assistance to team members when requested.
- Identify own development needs and request development opportunities.
- Represent the Company on specialist groups, as required.
- Be involved with the selection of new team members.
- Identify the development needs of the team members.
- Exercise leadership.
- Other tasks appropriate to the grade.
The Ideal Candidate Ideally the successful candidate will have at least 5 years’ practical/professional experience directly related to the role.
In addition you should have a thorough knowledge and understanding of own specialist area and Company systems, processes and procedures. Also thorough knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation and regulations. Have good communication and influencing skills and be a proficient negotiator.
About The Company If this is your opportunity to join us, you’ll find we offer a supportive, rewarding and friendly working environment where you’ll be empowered to build a career. Along the way, you’ll be invested in, be enabled by the latest technology and find that we’re always interested in evolving our systems and processes so that we get even better, every day.
In return, you’ll enjoy a package of benefits designed to reward your hard work and incentivise your ambition. In addition to your competitive salary, we offer a competitive contributory pension scheme where the company will double match your pension contributions up to a maximum company contribution of 10%. You will also have access, subject to eligibility criteria, to join our annual Share Save plan.
You will receive a generous annual leave entitlement on joining, starting at 26 days rising to 28 days following 10 years’ service, plus 8 bank holidays. In addition, you will be able to access support via our Employee Assistance Programme, including musculoskeletal and physiotherapy services.
Additional Application Information
Recruitment correspondence is usually sent by email, so please do check your email account including spam/junk folders regularly after the closing date.
To enhance your candidate experience, we recommend using Google Chrome to complete your online application. Should you have any questions regarding this or require additional support to complete your online application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We reserve the right to close the vacancy early should sufficient numbers of suitable applications be received. We recommend that you submit your application as soon as possible.