Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Croydon, Exeter, Leeds, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Stoke-on-Trent, Swansea
Do you have a passion for public and customer services and want to make a difference? If so, we would like to hear from you.
VOA values property for tax purposes. These taxes fund vital public services like schools, hospitals and welfare so you would be making a real difference to peoples’ lives.
We are an executive agency of HMRC with around 4,000 people and currently need people to provide commercial expertise to the business.
An opportunity has arisen for Chartered Surveyors with an interest in mineral and waste solution industries to join our specialist Minerals team within BEAMS.
The BEAMS team provide the home for specialist surveying services that support all of the Agency’s primary functions including valuations for Non-Domestic Rating and other purposes.
The BEAMS team provides opportunities to work on unique projects, develop professional skills, and further your career.
The team comprises circa 40 members including Chartered Surveyors, Surveying Technicians and Researchers.
Applications are invited from RICS qualified Chartered Surveyors.
We are ultimately seeking an individual with a desire to assume a career in minerals and waste valuations. We welcome applications from people with an aspiration to further their career in this area.
- Your primary casework will involve the valuation of mineral and waste properties for Non-Domestic Rating purposes. You will also have the opportunity to assist with other casework where mineral or waste management interests are involved.
- On occasions, you may be called upon to act as an expert witness at Valuation Tribunal and other courts as required. (Training and support in appearing as an expert witness will be provided.)
- MRICS qualified as a Chartered Surveyor.
- Ability to interpret and apply general legislation and case law.
- Willingness to expand your knowledge through Continuous Professional Development in your area of expertise as a Chartered Surveyor in the minerals team.
- There will be occasional travel and overnight stays away from home which are necessary to facilitate work delivery. We are reasonable with our expectations in this regard and provide flexible working arrangements to support this need.
- Possess and demonstrate good analytical and judgement skills by interpreting a range of evidence to provide relevant advice and reach sound conclusions.
- Good report writing and presentational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to deal with a wide range of customers, clients and other professionals.
- Good skill level in the use of common software applications, such as Microsoft 365; Microsoft Teams, Word and Excel. A willingness to learn new software and VOA IT systems, training will be provided.
Driving Licence - Some sites are difficult to access via public transport and therefore a full UK Driving Licence is essential to the role. However, if you are considered disabled under the Equality Act 2010 and do not hold a full driving licence, we will consider your application. Please contact email@example.com with your details to discuss this further.
MRICS or FRICS
MRICS or FRICS
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- The technical part of the interview provides an opportunity to demonstrate your professional knowledge and experience as a Chartered Surveyor.
We offer a range of flexible working options, a generous leave allowance that starts at 25 days and goes up to 30 days after 5 years’ service and a Civil Service Pension with an average employer contribution of 27%. Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks with full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 4 weeks at full pay.
The most popular parts of our reward package include:
- Pay – in the few years, we have increased both the minimum and maximum pay points for everyone in the VOA.
- Pension - we make contributions to our colleagues’ Alpha pension equal to at least 26% of their salary.
- Working hours and location flexibility – everyone in the VOA has some opportunity to work from home, and we support a full range of flexible working options including part time, part year, compressed hours and job shares.
- Family friendly policies – including four weeks of paid paternity leave.
- Personal support – we offer extensive special leave to help balance your life and work commitments, a variety of non-financial rewards (including a Cycle to Work scheme of up to £4000) and we work with professional providers to provide occupational health and full mental and physical wellbeing services.
Download the Employee Value Proposition for full details of the benefits of being a VOA employee at: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/valuation-office-agency/about/recruitment
If you would like further information and details on how to to apply, please follow the 'Apply' button to the civil service jobs website.