At South West Water we believe that the strongest businesses are built on solid, stable foundations - with a vision and a culture that gives them the freedom to change, improve and innovate. We’re proud to be responsible for providing reliable, efficient and high-quality drinking water and wastewater services for the beautiful South West area. And we have huge ambitions.
Not only are we committed to reaching net-zero by 2030, but we’ve also partnered with wildlife charities, National Parks and local partners to help ensure a better future for generations to come.
So, if you want to be part of a diverse team where opportunities flow and fresh ideas are welcomed, #JustAddWater.
Are you an experienced Surveyor or Land Agent looking to join a company that values collaboration and has a progressive mindset? Are you looking for a new challenge where you will be influential in driving the business forwards towards its goals?
We currently have two exciting opportunities available for a Surveyor/ Land Agent to join our busy Engineering team working in Exeter. You will join us on a full-time, permanent basis, and in return, you will receive a salary of £45,000 - £55,000 per annum plus excellent benefits and development opportunities within our established Team.
About the role:
Our Estates Team leads on acquisition of rights required for capital projects or operational needs, management and disposal of land ensuring compliance with statutory or other drivers, delivering exceptional customer service whilst minimising cost to the Business. No two days are the same. We're proud to take a lead in innovating across a range of challenges on both a Company-wide and national stage.
Working alongside multi-disciplinary engineering teams on a variety of new and exciting projects and providing strategic land and property advice. From enhancing water quality and supply to projects protecting our customers and the environment. You will also support the Company's Operational teams in acquiring access to land to inspect, maintain, repair, and improve its vast network across our region.
What you'll be doing:
- You’ll deliver a high-quality service to projects, teams and the business
- Providing expert advice on the Company's Statutory Powers of Entry
- Preparing and issuing Statutory Notices under the Water Industry Act 1991, Land referencing, implementing licences and agreements.
- Preparing valuations and budgets
- Negotiating compensation claims
- Working to acquiring land and land rights on behalf of the business
- Liaising with our Landowners and consulting with them on a range of different topics
- Agreeing and advising on accommodation and reinstatement works
- Providing advice on pipe route and site selection, arranging Magistrates Warrants of Entry, Upper Tribunal (Lands chamber) referrals and CPO enquiries
- Representing the Company at meetings and liaising with key internal and external stakeholders
- Assisting with the training, mentoring and supervision of Surveyors working towards their APC, together with professional advice, guidance and support on other aspects in the Property Services Department as required.
What are we looking for:
- Qualified Chartered Surveyor (FRICS or MRICS) in either a rural, commercial or valuation practice
- You will have experience in dealing with consent and access issues together with a broad understanding of the legislation and regulations affecting the water industry or a similar regulated sector
- You will be proficient in negotiation and influencing skills and you must be able to demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders internally and externally to include customers, landowners, and Local Authorities, as well as statutory consultees, objectors and their agents.
- A proven track record of negotiating, and settling complex compensation claims and acquiring land for capital scheme purposes.
- An understanding of the statutes, statutory instruments, case law and government guidance in respect of the statutory compensation code and compulsory purchase procedures
- A proven ability to work under pressure to meet tight timescales by good prioritisation and time management skills
This isn’t just a job, this is a career; the opportunities to develop and grow your career with us are endless. Alongside ongoing training and development opportunities we offer some great benefits:
- 26 days holiday allowance rising to 30 days plus bank holidays
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discretionary bonus
- Share save scheme
- Subsidised healthcare benefits
- Plus, many more!
Closing date: Wednesday 18th January 2023
Please note that the successful candidate will be subject to a mandatory DBS check as part of the onboarding process.
Be yourself, we like it that way. Together, we will build a culture of belonging, where inclusion is instinctive. Diversity is our strength and a reflection of our communities. We care, we value everyone, we celebrate uniqueness.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
· Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
· Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
· Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities, and each other.
· Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.