- Newcastle University
- Newcastle University GB
- £32,348 to £34,308 with progression to £42,155 per annum
- Closing date
- 8 Feb 2023
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Estates Management, Planning and Development, Project Management, Property Management
- Chartered Surveyor, FRICS, MRICS, Assoc RICS
- Business Type
We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
What’s in it for you? Newcastle University is a great place to work, with excellent benefits. We have a generous holiday package; plus the opportunity to buy more, great pension schemes and a number of health and wellbeing initiatives to support you.
Newcastle is an inclusive global University community where everyone is treated with dignity and respect. As a University of Sanctuary, we aim to provide a welcoming place of safety for all, offering opportunities to people fleeing violence and persecution.
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains colleagues from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
Salary: £32,348 to £34,308 with progression to £42,155 per annum
Closing Date: 08 February 2023
The Estates and Facilities (E&F) team has responsibility for the safe, efficient, effective development and management of the University academic and residential estate. The estate is seen as a strategic enabler in support of the University Vision and Strategy and the post will embrace the vision and strategy, working across the team and the wider University.
Reporting to the Senior Estate Planner we are seeking a qualified, creative estate professional to work within our Estates & Facilities Planning Team. The team provide an estate planning service and assist in the development, delivery and implementation of multiple cross organisational projects including but not limited to the Estate Strategy, capital and operational development planning, space utilisation and property disposal and acquisitions to support the University’s business plan and vision.
The scope and scale of Planning Team projects covers a broad range, from specialist interior design advice for space refurbishments, up to supporting the delivery of the Estate Strategy and large capital projects. We are therefore looking for an individual with experience delivering projects in diverse environments or for multiple clients and that is capable of delivering multiple projects at any one time.
Based within the Estates & Facilities Team we have an exciting opportunity for an Estate Planner to join our Planning Team; an in-house service providing the implement and management of estate planning to faculties and services across the University.
The Planning Team covers a broad range of services, from specialist interior design advice for space refurbishments, up to supporting the delivery of the Estate Strategy and large capital projects. We are therefore looking for an individual with experience delivering projects in diverse environments or for multiple clients and that is capable of delivering multiple projects at any one time.
You will have the experience and ability to manage a demanding workload with the ability to analyse issues and resolve problems, frequently involving lateral thinking to provide alternative solutions.
You should be educated to degree level, either in a relevant built environment/property discipline, or with substantial equivalent professional experience in an estate development role.
You must have good IT skills with a sound working Knowledge of CAD with Experience of both 2D and 3D drawing and modelling software packages and other computer design tools as well as Office applications and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
In return we offer a great range of benefits for our staff including; competitive salary, 30 days holiday per annum plus 8 bank holidays and 4 University discretionary closure days, membership to the University pension scheme, NCL Rewards and flexible working arrangements.
For informal enquiries, contact James Adshead, Capital Manager. Telephone 0191 208 8606, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the Senior Estate Planner with the delivery of the University’s Estate strategy in the context of a continually changing academic, financial and political environment
- Work closely with Faculties and Services to develop space planning solutions to meet their ongoing and future needs, taking into account the constraints of the existing campus. Whilst also ensuring through discussion with E&F teams that the planning solutions evaluated are translated into a design brief, which considers technical feasibility, programme, procurement and risk management
- Advise clients on the optimum use and development of spatial requirements, and to monitor, analyse and produce reports on space efficiency and utilisation within buildings, Schools, Faculties and Services
- Support the development and/or rationalisation of the estate by monitoring and advising on the efficiency and effectiveness of the built development and land
- Support the Senior Estate Planner in developing and managing an investment programme in the centrally-owned education spaces across the campus, liaising with the PVC for Education, the Learning & Teaching Development Service, Timetabling, Student and Academic Services and consulting with stakeholders as required
- Contribute to the detailed planning of projects including the preparation of feasibility studies, development of briefs, capital appraisals and business cases to support project approvals and governance
- Work closely with Capital, Improvements and Maintenance colleagues to ensure a seamless handover of projects at an appropriate stage to provide project continuity
- Work closely with the Property Team on space utilisation, additional space requirements on and off campus, decant strategies for capital development projects and campus redevelopment opportunities
- Liaise with project sponsors and E&F teams to advise on the potential implications of disruption and space moves associated with development projects whilst implementing and coordinating any actions to minimise disturbances within the early feasibility stages
- Contribute to the delivery of the University Carbon Action Plan and ensuring that Sustainability aims and objectives underpin all decision making
- Use asset information records, making use of 2D and 3D software as tools to develop plans associated with the estate development, stakeholder engagement and development of the Estate Strategy
- Support and guide the Architectural Assistant roles on specific projects and tasks
- Contribute to the development of systems and procedures within Estates & Facilities which will facilitate good working practices in the delivery of high standard, focused, project objectives and customer service
- Represent the Planning Team at both internal and external meetings and/or events
- In line with the approved Estate Strategy, support development and/or rationalisation of the estate by monitoring and advising on the efficiency and effectiveness of the built development and land
- Appoint and manage external consultants in line with the University’s procurement and financial regulations
- Undertake other duties as required by the Senior Estate Planner and Head of Service, which are reasonable with the position
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience of both 2D and 3D drawing and modelling software packages
- Competent in the use of the Microsoft Office suite of software
- Proactive management style encouraging ownership and partnership approaches
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities within a demanding workload
- Ability to analyse issues and resolve problems, frequently involving lateral thinking to provide alternative solutions
- An awareness of the operation of a HE institution (Desirable)
Attributes and Behaviour
- Ability to project confidence
- Team Player
- Ability to influence stakeholders at all levels
- Planning and organising
- Finding solutions to complex problems
- Educated to degree level, either in a relevant built environment/property discipline, or with substantial equivalent professional experience in an estate development role
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University is also a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Requisition ID: 24896
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert