Experienced Building Surveyor (Safety & Projects) Required
My client is an established, privately owned business. The firm is part of a wider property group, which is freeholder of c1600 buildings across the UK, principally blocks of flats. More than 40,000 individual leaseholders’ own properties across this estate.
In response to ongoing scrutiny, and out of a genuine concern for its leaseholders my client is involved in a long-term programme to understand the safety status of its estate, ensure that known defects are rectified proportionately and that funding is secured.
This new role, within their Property team, will co-ordinate the programme to analyse buildings, specify and tender remediation contracts and secure funding, within a contractual framework which protects the freeholder. These functions are delivered through a network of external lead consultants, lawyers, managing agents and other professionals.
The role will require the oversight and effective co-ordination of these professionals to ensure delivery. Where a Pledge Developer takes responsibility for remediation, the successful candidate will co-ordinate the negotiation, contractual framework and provide oversight, again using external professional advice.
The role will require close co-ordination with other members of the in-house Property, Legal and Management teams.
A background in construction management, property management, building surveying or relevant project management would be an advantage.
Core duties and responsibilities:
- Function as a senior member of the Property Team.
- Technical and strategic management of the delivery of fire safety remediation projects.
- Ensure works are undertaken in line with fire safety legislation
- Oversee Developer led & Government funded projects.
- Manage the appointment of legal representation on contract review and execution.
- Responsible for the financial planning and coordination of remediation projects.
- Appointment and supervision of the external professional team.
- A collegiate, cross-team approach to problem-solving and collaboration.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong excel skills.
- Relevant project management experience
- Relevant contract management experience.
- The personal authority to engage and direct senior-level external professionals.
- Experience in the construction, surveying or property management arenas.
- Ideally, knowledge of the Building Safety Act (though this can be learned post-appointment).
- Strong negotiating ability.
- Full-time with an early finish available on Fridays.
- The role is 2-3 days home or office based (out of an East Hampshire office)
- Up to £55k basic salary
- 10% bonus available
- 24 days annual holiday + Public