Senior Development Surveyor
- Network Rail
- York, George Stephenson House
- Band 3C £53,202 - £59,853
- Closing date
- 27 Mar 2023
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- General Practice, Planning and Development, Project Management, Acquisitions
- Chartered Surveyor, FRICS, MRICS
- Business Type
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking an experienced Chartered Development Surveyor with a demonstrable track record of identifying development opportunities for a variety of uses. It is essential that you understand the planning and development process and have strong project management skills. Experience of working on complex mixed use development schemes, managing a variety of stakeholders and Joint Venture/partnerships approaches would be advantageous.
The role will be based in York with travel throughout the Eastern Region
About Network Rail…
Our passengers and freight users are at the heart of everything we do. We help connect people to their friends and families and get goods to their destination safely and efficiently. We’re an organisation where people matter. When you're part of our team, you matter to us and you matter to millions. Watch our video to find out more!
We're continuing to build a more diverse and inclusive organisation which is representative of the passengers we serve. To do this, it is essential we become a more open, diverse and inclusive organisation, harnessing the skills and expertise of all our people and attracting the best talent to help us have a safe, accessible railway for everyone. To learn more about how Diversity and Inclusion is important to Network Rail please click here.
We believe that investing in our people is one of the most effective ways of improving the safety, reliability and efficiency of the railway. For more information about Network Rail please click here, or for more information on how we recruit, please click here.
About the function…
Network Rail Group Property is the central commercial development division of the organisation working closely with the Regions to deliver development schemes. Through our development activities we seek to create exceptional spaces which improve passenger experience and generate value for the railway. As one of Britain’s largest property owners, the Group Property team is at the core of delivering our ambition to provide a safe, reliable and efficient railway fit for the 21st century.
It is a very exciting time to be joining the Group Property team as we have a number of truly transformational regeneration projects across the Eastern Region that will add billions of pounds of gross value to the communities we serve.
What are the Key accountabilities?
- Establish and lead on projects and contribute to existing schemes. Implement different approaches to development to ensure Network Rail and the rail industry achieves the best outcome in terms of station enhancements, housing numbers and site value from disposals. Experience in property acquisitions would be advantageous.
- Demonstrate high level of project management skills by achieving key project achievements in accordance with the approved programme
- Process will range from site identification, separation of site from operational railway, marketing, and developer/purchaser selection process through to completion of all documentation for a transaction.
- Undertake discussions and negotiations with internal and external partners relating to development schemes and through these, facilitate the successful completion of the required approvals
- Instruct legal advisors to prepare relevant documents required for developments and disposals including contracts, land transfers and development agreements.
- Delivery of financial targets in line with forecasts and feeding into forecast for both cashflow and capital receipts with maximum accuracy
- Develop and implement effective property strategies for the Group Property function which is fully aligned to the Regional Property Strategy.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal colleagues (particularly within the Eastern Region), consultants, and external bodies to ensure an efficient and effective delivery of projects.
- Provide leadership on a range of property issues and provide support to the wider team including the management and training of junior team members.
What essential skills and experiences are required?
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- MRICS qualified
- Wide range of General Practice surveying experience
- Excellent communication and influencing skills
- Proven negotiation skills at senior level
- Proven experience of managing complex property transactions
- Experience of stakeholder management
- Strong presentation skills
We would also like, but not essential.
- Understanding of compulsory purchase issues
- Understanding of the rail industry and rail legislation
- Full Driving Licence
What can we offer you in return?
We have a range of benefits including:
- 28 days annual leave entitlement, plus Bank Holidays and five volunteer days
- My Benefits – our discounted online shopping site
- A range of discounted offers including, Healthcare offers, cycle to work, healthcare club discounted membership and other benefits
- Subsidies of up to 75% on rail and underground season tickets
- A range of pension schemes
- Two weeks paid reserve leave for our Armed Forces community
- Training, development and employee assistance programme available
- To learn about the benefits we offer please here.
A message from our Chief Executive, Andrew Haines:
“We want to be on the side of the passengers and demonstrate our leadership across the rail industry. We will be an organisation that is easy to do business with, and one where our people are proud to work.
To achieve these ambitions, we will work to increase the diversity of our workforce so that we represent the passengers that we serve up and down the country – because everyone matters.” (2020)
How to apply
We're an inclusive employer of choice, Disability Confident Leader employer, encourage people to work flexibly and we welcome applications from everyone (Click here for more information).
Visit Evenbreak’s Career Hive should you need accessibility support to apply or should you require any reasonable adjustments/modifications, please contact RecruitmentSupport@networkrail.co.uk
Our vision is a better railway for a better Britain
We aim to deliver a railway that is safer, more reliable and more efficient than ever before, to help build a thriving, sustainable economy.
Britain’s railway does more than transport passengers and goods. It brings people and businesses closer together, which creates new jobs, opens up new markets and stimulates economic growth. We want to provide the best possible service to everyone who relies on the railway – passengers, train operating companies and businesses nationwide. Rail is vital to Britain's future.
More to us than meets the eye
There’s more to our organisation than you might have imagined. Although rail is a huge part of our business, we’re also one of the largest land and property owners in the UK. We manage a huge property portfolio that includes 18 of the biggest stations in Britain, the retail outlets inside them, and the small businesses that live under their arches. Sales at some of our stations have even been outperforming the high street.
We’re also behind some of the biggest, most innovative projects in the country – from the world’s largest solar bridge at Blackfriars through to electrification and HS2. Pioneers in advanced technology, our technical team invented the use of HD cameras to identify track wear-and-tear more efficiently. We’re also responsible for the 17,000km-long fibre optic network that powers our trackside signals, telephones and electrical systems. We do all this whilst maintaining safety as our number one priority.
Our rail network is the fastest growing and safest in Europe. But we still have work to do to create a railway fit for 21st century Britain. We’re investing more than £25bn in developing our infrastructure so that we can deliver more services and better journeys. This is the largest programme of sustained investment in the railway that Britain has ever seen, presenting an abundance of opportunities for ambitious and enthusiastic people like you to make an impact.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert