Public Realm Director
- The Crown Estate
- London, Regional/ Homeworking
- Competitive with Great Benefits
- Closing date
- 4 Apr 2023
- Land, Construction
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Asset & Facilities Management, Building Surveyor, Planning and Development, Infrastructure
- Chartered Surveyor, Director, FRICS, MRICS
- Business Type
Purpose of Role:
The role will lead the public realm and landscape strategy for our Central London and Regional portfolio with a key focus on delivering exemplar sustainable urban environments that respond to and support the changing needs of our cities. Reporting to the Head of Development, the Director of Public Realm will be responsible for leading the vision, design and delivery of the TCE public realm strategy, embedding principles of best in class landscape solutions within project deliverables and will play a key role in shaping the urban design experience of our neighbourhoods.
In a post-Covid environment, the importance of high-quality open spaces has been heightened. The Director of Public Realm will take an inclusive approach to the design and management of the urban realm, ensuring the network of streets and public urban spaces are fit for the future, promote health and wellbeing, safe and welcoming for all, whilst bringing positive benefits to the local environment, economy and community.
This role will provide the opportunity to be part of a collaborative team that is set to deliver a new benchmark for sustainable, inclusive and vibrant public spaces for everyone to enjoy.
- Lead the preparation of a public realm and landscape design strategy for TCE that embraces best practice and innovation across the portfolio and creates aspiration and
inspiration for all stakeholders. This will include working closely with TCE project teams to implement the strategy through design, planning and phased delivery as projects progress.
- Be accountable for embedding a strategic approach across the estate to a sustainable landscape design strategy, including biodiversity, nature and ecology initiatives across
the asset portfolio and public realm.
- Responsible for coordinating a sustainable lighting strategy, wayfinding, and strategic transport solutions, for example consolidation of vehicle movement and freight to enable, sustain and enhance living conditions for the community, businesses and residents.
- Responsible for the coordination and delivery of infrastructure requirements as required to deliver on the ambitions of the public realm strategy.
- Establish and maintain external networks within the public and private sectors who will help deliver public realm i.e. Transport for London (“TFL”), Westminster City Council
(“WCC”), GLA, BIDs, other landowners and developers, funders etc
- Champion for wider sustainability outcomes (social + environmental) in order to achieve net TCE net zero carbon ambitions
- Coordinate proposals with the Director of Place Curation in relation to proposed meanwhile use, temporary and semi-permanent installations to support TCE’s placemaking vision and District Strategy
- Seek opportunities to create partnerships to assist with delivery of public realm solutions – this could relate to brand awareness, advocacy, other landowners or funding support etc.
- Responsible for managing project expectations, balancing aspirational objectives with the commercial constraints
- Ensure a well-documented process for defining the scope, cost and programme assumptions throughout, with key ‘submissions’ at significant governance gateways including PCG
- Work closely with Development Management, Asset Management, Place Curation, Finance, Marketing, Communications, Business Services and other functions within the business
Knowledge, Experience and Skills (Essential and desirable):
- Experience in leading a diverse team and delivering ambitious / creative public realm solutions, whilst staying committed to vision, budget and programme
- Demonstrable senior level experience of managing development and delivery outcomes for high profile public realm projects and demonstrable understanding of development/design stages + strategic stakeholder engagement
- Experience of supporting meaningful and inclusive community engagement processes and design outcomes
- Proven exposure to managing 3rd party stakeholders at all levels and building meaningful relationships across various groups from community groups, industry bodies, consultants and government bodies.
- Experience in resolving challenges in relation to statutory requirements including transport and infrastructure, and finding solutions to create enhanced urban design outcomes for all parties
- Have an understanding and appreciation of the contractual relationships between parties (landowners, local authority, tenants, funders, statutory bodies)
- A desire to think beyond physical transformation and drive socio economic improvements and wider social value outcomes for local communities. Experience in curating educational programmes and opportunities for engagement with local groups
- Strong relationship management and issue resolution skills, including the ability to manage JV Partners and Stakeholders, motivate/inspire and manage internal and external project teams, and delegate within the team
- Demonstrate required level of technical knowledge and understanding of environmental sustainability, landscape design, biodiversity, ecology, nature, town planning and construction where relevant to the project and share knowledge to improve general team skills and expertise
- Contribution to the business through involvement in aspects extra to the day-to-day role (e.g., thought leadership, sharing best practice, organising training, improving
procedural documents and processes and involvement in business wide initiatives).
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and experience in urban design, landscape architecture or equivalent
- Experience in managing a diverse multi-disciplinary team of internal team resources and external consultants
Advert close date: Tuesday 4th April 2023
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert