Estates Surveyor – Birmingham
Beach Baker is delighted to be working in partnership with Mercia Real Estate - a privately owned property company with assets across the group totalling in excess of 100 properties with a value £200-300m.
This role is an exciting opportunity to work as a Estates Surveyor in a trusted property company with a proud history, who have a track record in building long term relationships with their tenants and agents alike, focusing on delivering good quality and well maintained accommodation with a value add investment approach.
Mercia Real Estate is a leading real estate investor and asset management company based in Birmingham.
Their primary focus extends across the Midlands and its neighbouring regions, and their portfolio spans a diverse array of sectors and asset categories including retail and industrial units.
With a consistent history of delivering appealing returns, Mercia Real Estate has solidified its reputation as a proficient value-added investor within their geographic scope, boasting a well-established track record of achievements.
Mercia’s investment ethos rests on these foundational principles:
- Geographic Mastery: We possess an expert understanding of the macro and microeconomic factors influencing our region, anchoring our investment strategy in local knowledge.
- Portfolio Prudence: Our portfolio is meticulously crafted to provide robust defensive measures, avoiding overexposure to any single asset class and ensuring prudent risk management.
- In-House Expertise: We maintain an adept in-house asset management team, fortified with the skills and expertise necessary to navigate the intricacies of our investments.
Reporting to the Estates Director, you will assist in the day to day property management of the portfolio, which covers the main commercial asset classes including industrial and mixed use.
The portfolio of approximately 100 properties includes 750-800 tenants with occupiers ranging from large corporations to independent firms and a total of circa 15 multi-let service charges to manage.
You will work alongside other in house team members such as a facilities manager, property administrator and accounts team to deliver an efficient and dedicated in house property and asset management service to occupiers.
Duties and responsibilities
You will need to be responsible for delivering an excellent service which will include wide ranging tasks such as preparation of rent, insurance and service charge budgets, inspection of the investment estate, liaising with tenants and instructing and managing external consultants such as managing agents, lawyers, architects, accountants and contractors etc.
You will act as the principal client with regards to small scale refurbishment/building works, helping with marketing and letting vacant space, assignments, litigation, sub lettings and business rates mitigation. This will be alongside the Asset Management Team, lead by the CEO.
The estate has considerable development value meaning a crucial part of the in house Estates team’s function is to support occupier needs throughout the full development life cycle.
Ultimately, the successful candidate will support the daily property management operations of the in-house estate management service, while also being part of a wider team who specialise in the acquisitions, and redevelopment of the portfolio to enhance the value of the assets.
You are likely to have the following attributes:
- Ideally recently qualified RICS Chartered Surveyor with at least 2 years commercial property management experience.
- Have a RICS accredited degree in Real Estate, or similar and have worked in commercial property.
- Ideally have some experience in Property & Estate Management. Ideally hold some understanding of Landlord & Tenant legislation.
- Competent IT skills required, including familiarity with Microsoft Office and property management systems including Yardi.
- Applicants will need a full driving licence and a car for business.
What’s in it for you
- Working in a dynamic client-side environment where decisions and strategy are formulated that shape the direction of the property profile.
- You will have a competitive salary and other benefits including pension, health and life insurance and discretionary bonus Have hands-on involvement in managing, maintaining, and developing the company's property portfolio, leading to a comprehensive understanding and greater control over property-related decisions.
- Opportunity to join a company that can offer financial security, alongside long-term career growth.
- Opportunity to collaborate directly with the Director of Estates who has a career spanning over 15 years in senior positions in private practice in Birmingham.
- This unique opportunity grants you access to invaluable knowledge with the chance to enhance your skillset.
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this exciting opportunity, or would like more information including our candidate information pack, please contact Amelia Messenger on 07586 673981 or email your CV and details to firstname.lastname@example.org in confidence.
All third party and direct applications will be forwarded to Beach Baker Recruitment for review.