Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service has a fantastic opportunity available for a Property Manager to join our team in Exeter on a 2 year Fixed Term Contract with the potential to be made permanent subject to strategic and financial direction. In return you will receive a competitive salary of £43,516 - £46,549 per annum. There is also a Market Supplement payment of £5000 per annum available in addition to the salary quoted for Chartered Members of RICS or CIOB.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is the largest non-metropolitan Fire and Rescue Service in England. We provide prevention, protection, and response services across the counties of Devon and Somerset.
Our vision is that together, we will work to end preventable fire and rescue emergencies, creating a safer world for you and your family. Keeping people safe is what we do, and we owe our fantastic reputation to our highly skilled and motivated workforce with over 2,000 staff.
About the Property Manager role:
Working in partnership with the Senior Property Manager and the Head of Estates, the primary purpose of the job is to maintain and improve Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Authority's (DSFRA) property stock to a high standard.
Key responsibilities as our Property Manager:
- Act as the project lead providing direction, coordination and leadership to consultants ensuring all projects are delivered to programme, budget and expected standards, leading projects from concept to completion.
- Undertake end-of-project analysis to include handover of projects to end users, ensuring all manuals, guarantees and relevant / associated documentation is provided.
- Liaise with all stakeholders in relation to implementation of capital, maintenance and improvement works to ensure effective management and execution of all assigned projects.
- Liaise on property-related matters at all levels within the organisation, including Senior Management and Fire Authority members together with Local Authorities, Utilities, Partner organisations and Stakeholders.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates, write project briefs and plans, and prepare programmes with consideration to whole of life investment.
- Manage and coordinate, in partnership with the procurement category manager, the supplier selection / tender process, monitoring and reviewing contractor performance.
- Produce, implement and maintain project delivery plans including programme schedules, communication plans and project risk registers.
- Project manage the budget, progress and quality of construction projects ensuring DSFRA is fully compliant with relevant legislation and that DSFRA interests are fully protected.
- Manage and interpret DSFRA legal duties in relation to asbestos management in the workplace, and provide advice and guidance to all relevant / appropriate parties.
- Commission/manage or undertake Annual and Quinquennial routine and other inspections (i.e., asbestos inspections) in consultation with the Senior Property Manager of the fabric, structure, services and infrastructure of all properties comprising DSFRA property portfolio.
- Undertake, as and when required, inspections and surveys including but not limited to structural building, condition, asbestos, pre-acquisition and disposal surveys.
Find out more:
What we are looking for in our Property Manager:
- Professionally qualified RICS or to at least Building Surveying degree level or equivalent with relevant post qualification experience.
- Membership of a relevant professional body (e.g. RICS, CIOB, CIBSE, IAM, APM, BIFM)
- Good working knowledge of procurement processes and selection of appropriate construction contracts.
- Good working knowledge of carbon management initiatives, green technologies and current industry trends.
- Experience of working with Planning Authorities, Contractors and Suppliers using negotiating, influencing, programme / project management and monitoring skills.
- Proven experience in managing a variety of major and minor construction projects including full contract administration and budgetary control.
- Experience of CAD systems and other software packages specific to Estates / Project maintenance.
For an informal discussion about the role, or to find out more, please contact our Senior Property Manager Matthew Wyon-Brown on 07855 231105.
Closing Date: 2359hrs Sunday 26 November 2023.
If you feel you have the skills and experience to become our Property Manager please click 'apply' today, we would love the hear from you.
How to apply:
You will be required to complete an application form and submit a supporting statement. As part of your supporting statement please ensure you provide evidence of how you meet the essential and desirable criteria for the role detailed in the Job Description and Person Specification which is attached at the end of this advert. The evidence provided will be used to shortlist applications received.
As a Service and as individuals:
- We are proud to help
- We are honest
- We are respectful
- We are working together
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service recognise and celebrate the vast diversity of the local communities that we serve and aspire for this to be reflected within our workforce. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds, experiences and beliefs, who share out values, to consider working for us.