BCP Council are seeking an Estates Manager to join their Estates Team based in Bournemouth.
BCP Council is a unitary local authority for the district of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole in England that came into being on 1 April 2019.
The council holds a significant and diverse property portfolio consisting of both land and commercial assets that span across the Dorset coastline. Our Estates department is responsible for providing an efficient and effective estate management service; supporting and advising on professional property matters to wider departments and key senior stakeholders across the authority.
Due to retirement, the department is now looking to appoint a new Estates Manager to lead and directly manage its Estates Management team, whilst working closely with the Head of Estates to achieve key objectives.
The role is being offered on a hybrid working basis, with an expectation to attend our Bournemouth based office circa 1-2 days per week.
The Estates Manager plays a key role within our Estates Senior Leadership Team. Reporting to the Head of Estates, you will be responsible for managing a team of direct reports, whilst ensuring key
commercial property strategies and policies are delivered and achieved.
You can expect your time to be split evenly between your leadership responsibilities and professional duties. This will include undertaking a range of professional estate management related services across the council's corporate property portfolio. Our portfolio is varied, including public buildings, leisure centres, office space and various other assets occupied by the authority.
Specific responsibilities include, but not limited to -
- Day-to-day management of a team of direct reports.
- Assisting the Head of Estates with generating and achieving property related policies and strategies.
- Ensure the best use of resources, by maximising opportunities for generating income from the property assets.
- Lead on the day-to-day Estate Management of the council's property portfolio.
- Undertake or manage the delegation of lease renewals and rent review negotiations.
- Carry out valuations, prepare reports and undertake development appraisals.
- Manage the outsourcing of the annual Asset Valuations and work with external consultants and property agents.
- Support with the operational Estates matters in the delivery of strategic projects and major investments. Also support in the delivery of property redevelopment projects and the management of its property investment portfolio.
- Provide support as an advisor to other departments in relation to property matters and estate management.
- Attend meetings with stakeholders and senior officers, deputising for the Head of Estates as required.
What you will need
- MRICS is essential, with significant post-qualification experience.
- Hold a relevant degree in property / estate management.
- A proven track record of managing a team of direct reports, with demonstrable leadership qualities.
- Strong experience in a wide range of commercial property and estate management tasks including, lease renewals and rent reviews.
- Experience in negotiating and completing property transactions, including acquisitions and disposals.
- Knowledge of valuation methodology for a range of property types.
- Sound knowledge of landlord and tenant legislation.
- Previous experience of working Local Government is preferred, but not essential.
- Excellent skills in stakeholder management and communication.
What you will receive
- £50,607 - £53,820 per annum DOE
- 25 days Annual Leave + Bank Holidays
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Professional Membership Fees
- Hybrid Working
- Flexible Working
- Discounted Parking
What you need to do now
Hays Property and Surveying are working with BCP Council on a retained and exclusive basis.
For more information, or to register your interest, please contact our Southampton based Property and Surveying specialist Jamie Poll on 07800755744.