Reports to: Head of Development
The location: Aberystwyth/Newtown or Lampeter
Overall Job Purpose
Support the Head of Development with the delivery of a high quality Development programme for Barcud that ensures the Association provides affordable, sustainable and attractive homes.
- Manage Development schemes from inception through to practical completion and handover, maintaining a constant awareness of progress, risks and budget.
- Assist in the development and implementation of Barcud’s overarching Development Programme, ensuring this programme fulfils the Association’s objectives and the needs of the communities in which it operates.
- Follow and be in accordance to Development processes and procedures, particularly in regard to delegated authority and budgetary spends.
- Authorise expenditure in accordance with Standing Orders, Financial Regulations and Delegated Authorities. • Identify new Development opportunities for Barcud by considering and analysing local housing data.
- Consult with colleagues across the Association on the design, tenure mix, location of new Development opportunities to ensure scheme operation is integrated into scheme design early in the Development process.
- Undertake financial viability assessments of potential development schemes.
- Ensure that any variations to agreed contract sums are authorised as required, and that the scheme remains within the overall viability parameters.
- Proactively work with funding bodies to acquire grant and other financial monies for Barcud’s Development schemes, working with Finance staff when needed.
- Monitor the risk of live Development schemes, escalating issues when appropriate.
- Report on Development schemes, including reporting for Development milestones, maintaining high-quality, robust records on schemes.
- Obtain all necessary approvals for new development schemes. October 2023 (SH)
- Ensure all homes built by Barcud are built to the high-quality standards of the Association.
- Ensure all certification for new homes are correctly commissioned, processed and stored, utilising external organisations when required.
- Complete scheme out-turn reports, to include an identification of any learning points.
- Work with the Procurement Officer to procure external services for Barcud’s Development schemes, seeking to find high-quality services that always represent excellent Value for Money.
- Work closely with consultants and monitor their performance, reporting issues to senior staff as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain close and proactive relationships with external stakeholders, including local authorities, developers and landowners, that can be utilised successfully in Development schemes.
- Promote a high-performance culture that drives continuous improvement and efficiencies.
- Communicating the priorities, plans, vision and objectives of the Association to ensure effective delivery to the agreed service standards and targets.
- Promote, develop and manage effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve continuous improvement in the provision of services.
- Promote Health and Wellbeing initiatives throughout the organisation.
- Provide excellent customer service to all internal and external customers.
- Work within the Association’s equality, diversity and inclusion policies at all times and in all aspects of service delivery and employment.
- Ensure that the Association and its employees comply with all legal, statutory and regulatory requirements along with best practice.
- In all aspects of the Association's work, to promote effective communications, excellence in customer service, and a focus on continuous improvement.
- Carry out such other duties and responsibilities as may reasonably be requested.
This person specification details the experience and skills for the position of Developments Officer at Barcud. All skills and experience are essential except where explicitly indicated to be desirable (D).
- Educated to A level, or equivalent professional experience.
- Relevant professional qualification, namely chartered status from a relevant institutional body (e.g. CIH/RICS). (D)
- HNC in Building Studies, Construction Management or equivalent.
- Evidence of continually developing professional knowledge. Experience
- Delivery of Development schemes.
- Project managing Development or construction-related projects.
- Developing and implementing Development Strategies. (D)
- Following Development processes and procedures.
- Undertaking viability assessments.
- Balancing multiple schemes simultaneously.
- Monitoring the budget, risk and progression of schemes.
- Working with external organisations on matters of grant, construction or certification.
- Welsh housing / development experience. (D)
- Public sector or Housing Association experience. (D)
- Acquisition and disposal of land/buildings (D) Skills / Knowledge
- Good knowledge of the Development process and common issues.
- Knowledge of housing and / or construction sectors and challenge, including procurement, funding, planning and contracts.
- Awareness of building construction techniques. (D)
- Awareness of Decarbonisation issues/imperatives (D) October 2023 (SH)
- Project management skills with an ability to plan, organise and prioritise effectively, in order to achieve targets and meet deadlines.
- Able to produce comprehensive quality reporting for effective decision making.
- Willing to learn Welsh to ALTE level 3 within 2 years (if not already a Welsh speaker).
- Ability to deliver results to tight deadlines under pressure.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Sound numerical, reasoning and written communication skills.
- Proven competency to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Able to set appropriate and challenging performance targets for self.
- Ability to promote equality and diversity in all aspects of employment and service delivery.