Estates Surveyor - Birmingham
Beach Baker is delighted to be working in partnership with Mercia Real Estate - a private family-owned property company with assets across the group totalling in excess of 100 properties with a value £200-300m.
This role is an exciting opportunity to work as an Estates Surveyor in a trusted property company with a proud history, who have a track record in building long term relationships with their tenants and agents alike, focusing on delivering good quality and well maintained accommodation.
Mercia Real Estate is a leading real estate investor and asset management company based in Birmingham.
Our primary focus extends across the Midlands and its neighbouring regions, and our portfolio spans a diverse array of sectors and asset categories including retail and industrial units. With a consistent history of delivering appealing returns, Mercia Real Estate has solidified its reputation as a proficient value-added investor within our geographic scope, boasting a well-established track record of achievements.
Our investment ethos rests on these foundational principles:
- Geographic Mastery: We possess an expert understanding of the macro and microeconomic factors influencing our region, anchoring our investment strategy in local knowledge.
- Portfolio Prudence: Our portfolio is meticulously crafted to provide robust defensive measures, avoiding overexposure to any single asset class and ensuring prudent risk management.
- In-House Expertise: We maintain an adept in-house asset management team, fortified with the skills and expertise necessary to navigate the intricacies of our investments.
Reporting to the Estates Director, you will assist in the day to day property management of the portfolio, which covers the main commercial asset classes including industrial, offices and retail.
The portfolio includes properties let to large corporations, public sector occupiers and national retailers.
You will work alongside other surveyors, facilities managers, property administrators and accounts teams to deliver an efficient and dedicated in house property and asset management service to occupiers.
Duties and responsibilities
You will need to be responsible for delivering an excellent service which will include wide ranging tasks such as preparation of rent, insurance and service charge budgets, inspection of the investment estate, liaising with tenants and instructing and managing external consultants such as managing agents, lawyers, architects, accountants and contractors etc.
You will act as the principal client with regards to refurbishment/building works, helping with marketing and letting vacant space, assignments, litigation, sub lettings and business rates mitigation.
Ultimately, the selected candidate will collaborate with the team to oversee the daily operations of our in-house estate management services, while also delving into dynamic initiatives such as aiding in acquisitions, projects, and refurbishments to enhance the value of the assets.
You are likely to have the following attributes:
- Ideally recently qualified RICS Chartered Surveyor with at least 2 years property management experience.
- Have a RICS accredited degree in Real Estate, or similar and have worked in commercial property.
- Ideally have some experience in Estate Management.
- Ideally hold some understanding of Landlord & Tenant legislation.
- Competent IT skills required, including familiarity with Microsoft Office and property management systems.
- Applicants will need a full driving licence and a car for business.
What's in it for you
- Working in a dynamic client-side environment where decisions and strategy are formulated that shape the direction of the property profile.
- You will have a competitive salary and other benefits
- Have hands-on involvement in managing, maintaining, and developing the company's property portfolio, leading to a comprehensive understanding and greater control over property-related decisions.
- Opportunity to join a company that can offer better job and financial security, alongside long-term career growth.
- Opportunity to collaborate directly with the Director of Estates who has a career spanning over 15 years in senior positions in private practice in Birmingham. This unique opportunity grants you access to invaluable knowledge with the chance to enhance your skillset.
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this exciting opportunity, or would like more information including our candidate information pack, please contact Amelia Messenger on 07586 673981 or email your CV and details to firstname.lastname@example.org in confidence.
All third party and direct applications will be forwarded to Beach Baker Recruitment for review.