As a pivotal member of the Finance, Commercial and Estates Directorate Senior Management Team at the NHSBSA, the postholder will provide a multifaceted Estates and Facilities Management service to NHSBSA, leading a team that engages effectively and works collaboratively to enable delivery of our strategic objectives and ambitions in a fast-paced, highly sensitive and changing landscape.
You will have extensive experience of delivering Estates Strategies involving multiple complex projects and operations on time and to budget, development and deployment of workplace strategies (including Smart Working) and procurement and successful management of high value FM contracts.
You will build strong professional relationships with internal and external customers, suppliers and stakeholders at all levels including Government Property Agency, and lead negotiations with landlords. You will help deliver value and efficiency for NHSBSA and the wider NHS.
What do we offer?
- 27 days leave (increasing with length of service) plus bank holidays
- Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
- Hybrid working model (we are currently working largely remotely)
- Career development
- Active wellbeing and inclusion networks
- Excellent pension
- NHS Car lease scheme
- Access to a wide range of benefits and high street discounts
Main duties of the job
- Strategic Leadership: Lead a team of estates and facilities management professionals, and being a commercially aware, visible and effective leader, demonstrating behaviour based on organisational values and promoting a collaborative, supportive and inclusive team culture
- Business Engagement: Leading on internal business engagement for Estates; building strong and collaborative relationships at Leadership Team and with Senior Managers to meet the needs of a complex and rapidly evolving business. Communication and engagement with staff groups.
- Departmental management and planning: Leading the Estates function including line management and deployment of staffing resource. Leading planning, organising and change to ensure that resources, competencies, skills and systems continue to meet business needs
- Strategy and Finance: Developing and promoting the NHSBSA Estates Strategy, including a rolling 5-year plan that supports the overall NHSBSA strategy and objectives and ambitions
- Performance / Service Delivery: Using asset intelligence, customer insight, customer feedback, management information/data and risk analysis to inform effective strategies, business cases, decision making and to monitor and demonstrate performance against service delivery standards. Experience of public sector governance requirements including effective management of public money
Working for our organisation
Here at the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA), what we do matters.
We manage the NHS Pension scheme, process prescription payments and much more. Our services are used by NHS organisations, contractors and the public: we take pride in being part of something so meaningful, that touches millions of lives.
Just as we design our services around the needs of our customers, we place our people at the heart of our organisation. That’s why when you join us, you’ll be empowered and given the right support to help your career grow.
As one of the UK’s Best Big Companies to work for, we’re all connected to our values: Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We care about our people, our purpose, and your progress.
We strive to offer a fantastic colleague experience, where every voice is heard, and every colleague is supported and respected. Wellbeing, diversity and inclusion is at the centre of this, so when you join us, you can connect with our Lived Experience Networks who help us to bring our authentic selves to work.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and circumstances. We are committed and proud to be a flexible employer and will endeavour to offer a working pattern that suits you wherever possible, whether that be hybrid working, flexible hours, job sharing and more.
Ready to join us on our journey to be a catalyst for better health? Apply today and see where the NHSBSA can take you.
We are people connected to care.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Being a commercially aware, visible and effective leader, demonstrating behaviour based on organisational values and promoting a collaborative, supportive and inclusive team culture
Leading on internal business engagement for Estates; building strong and collaborative relationships at Leadership Team and with Senior Managers to meet the needs of a complex and rapidly evolving business
Leading on and ensuring all decision making, often high in complexity, in relation to the NHSBSA estate portfolio is handled collaboratively and sensitively with business areas to minimise the impact on staff and services whilst delivering timely change/benefits.
Developing and implementing strategies for formal and informal staff engagement across NHSBSA, ensuring effective communication and participation in corporate Estates-focused initiatives
Leading on external stakeholder engagement and relationship management, within the scope of Estates and FM on behalf of NHSBSA, including but not limited to senior property leaders within DHSC, Cabinet Office, Government Property Agency (GPA) and NHS Property Services.
Leading engagement with key Estates and FM suppliers, maximising relationships to actively deliver collaborative ways of working, promote efficiency and innovation, and support the best customer experienc
Departmental management and planning
Leading the Estates function including line management and deployment of staffing resource. Leading planning, organising and change to ensure that resources, competencies, skills and systems continue to meet business needs
Ensuring that all aspects of the Estates remit and activity are planned, scheduled and conducted professionally, efficiently and cost-effectively, and that appropriate targets and objectives are set in for continuous improvement
Developing, monitoring and reviewing Estates and compliance-related policies, procedures and processes to ensure consistency in quality, application, efficiency and continuous improvement, and integration with NHSBSA’s wider policy framework
Effectively assessing and managing Estates and FM related risks, raising awareness of risks and issues that may impact business continuity, safety, compliance or financial risk, and ensuring escalation in accordance with the corporate risk and governance procedures.
Strategy and Finance
Developing and promoting the NHSBSA estates strategy, including a rolling 5-year plan that supports the overall NHSBSA strategy and objectives and ambitions
Leading the design and implementation of workplace strategies including the deployment of Smart Working in collaboration with HR, Technology and Organisational Development teams
Leading the NHSBSA’s contribution and input into the DHSC Strategic Asset Management plan and reporting of estates related data into senior DHSC and Office of Government Property (OGP/GPU/GPA)) stakeholders
Creating value through the effective profiling and asset management of the real estate portfolio in order to identify opportunities for cost reduction, cash generation and productivity improvements delivering savings planned through Government Spending Review and corresponding NHSBSA financial strategy and business plans
Management of the Estates business planning and associated budgeting processes, including liaison with the Executive Director, Finance Business Partner, Programme Management Office and other senior stakeholders to define budget/spend requirements to agree cost and targets
Providing overall accountability for the management of Estates capital and revenue budgets in line with NHSBSA Standing Financial Instructions and financial procedures
Spending in scope to circa £9m per annum and contract values to circa £3m per annum
Development and delivery of an operational sustainability strategy contributing to the achievement of the estate’s net zero and environmental efficiency goals and targets
Performance / Service Delivery
Providing Board and LT-level reporting and performance data and attending LT and associated meetings as required
Using asset intelligence, customer insight, customer feedback, management information/data and risk analysis to inform effective strategies, business cases, decision making and to monitor and demonstrate performance against service delivery standards
Collating, interpreting and presenting performance analytics and data to monitor and demonstrate the effectiveness of the NHSBSA Estates strategy and to inform business cases for change
Leading and delivering key Organisation-wide projects involving strategic estates changes, undertaking the role of Senior Responsible Officer (SRO) ensuring the agreed projects deliver the business case benefits and outcomes.
Driving high standards and consistency in the delivery of Estates and FM services across the NHSBSA portfolio, such that the corporate brand is protected and enhanced and that corporate risk is mitigated. Establishing and maintaining service level agreements for Estates and FM provision
Developing, implementing, and monitoring governance processes and procedures (including but not limited to security, H&S and environmental) in order to mitigate risk and ensuring compliance of FM real estate acquisition, leasing and/or development in accordance with Government Estates policies
Overseeing the management and delivery of all operational estates and FM services, ensuring alignment with business need, the driving of continuous improvement and the achievement of excellence in service provision
Overseeing the management and delivery of all capital and minor works projects in accordance business need, budgetary and timescale requirements and with regard to the organisational project governance and controls procedures
Leading complex negotiations of leases and MOTOs, acquisition and disposal, including management of the end-to-end transactional process, liaison with DHSC, GPA, legal and other teams and compliance with regulatory, statutory or approval requirements
Leading the NHSBSA’s input and acting as a key influencer into the Government Hub programme, having regard to and supporting the delivery of the government estate strategy and other key policy priorities such as places for growth
Working closely with Commercial Team colleagues to re/procure and manage contracts including Facilities Management (FM) services, capital and construction works, furniture supply, and professional and legal services for NHSBSA that deliver value and meet the diverse needs of the business including leading Estates and Facilities Management input into Strategic Supplier Relationship Management (SSRM).
Management and provision of accurate property data responses to support DHSC estates planning and GPU/GPA data returns, including the management and updating of government data.
Ensuring compliance with all Government Functional Standards relating to Property and Facilities Management and associated Government Spending Controls.
Person specification Qualifications Essential criteria
- Educated to degree standard in a relevant discipline (building, engineering, facilities management, surveying or similar)
- Membership of a relevant professional body such as the Institute of Workplace and Facilities Management (IWFM), Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) or Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
Personal Qualities, Knowledge, and Skills Essential criteria
- High level strategic planning and organisational skills including forward planning, forecasting and demand management
- An engaging leader who inspires through providing meaningful direction and advice and who values diversity to foster innovation, creativity and improve team performance
- Collaborative and insightful delivery through working with and through partners
- Champions the strategic importance of people, talent management, development and wellbeing through setting and maintaining direction, clear requirements and performance standards, building a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Excellent communications skills, written and oral, articulate and robust in presenting ideas
- Sound understanding of the legal and financial aspects of estates and facilities projects and transactions
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills, a good builder of productive relationships and partnerships through collaborative approach
Experience Essential criteria
- Substantial relevant senior management experience in Estates and Facilities Management
- Highly experienced in budgeting, forecasting, effective cost-management and application of financial controls and processes
- Design of workplace strategies including deployment of Smart Working
- Extensive experience in the use of data, metrics and analytics to inform strategic and operational planning and contract management
- Significant experience of procurement of high value FM contracts and the subsequent management of suppliers to deliver a cost effective, agile FM solutions
- Extensive experience of delivering multiple complex projects and operations on time and to budget, effective and efficient asset management, acquisitions and sale.
- Operation and maintenance of all relevant governance, policies and standards
- Demonstrable evidence of successful stakeholder and relationship management